What is Aadhar Card
Aadhaar is a 12-digit number that is issued by UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) to residents of India. In order to qualify for an Aadhaar number, you have to complete multiple checks and data validation. These checks will be done when you apply for your card.
How to apply Aadhar Card
1. Locate An Aadhar Enrollment Centre:
You can search for an enrollment centre close to you by visiting the UIDAI website and selecting and entering information by:
Once you enter details in the required fields, you will get addresses to centres close to you. Visit that Aadhaar Enrollment Centre. Enrollment is done free of cost.
2. Arrange to take following documents with yourself:
Once you choose your enrollment centre, you will need to visit the centre along with certain documents. These are:
- Identity proof documents – PAN Card, Passport, Voter ID, Driving Licence, etc.
- Address proof documents – Water/Electricity/Gas Bill, PAN Card, Passport, etc.
- In case you don’t have any individual valid document – family entitlement document containing your details (head of family should be enrolled for Aadhaar in this case).
- If you don’t satisfy any of the above criteria, you can seek help from an Introducer at the enrollment centre who is appointed by the Registrar and has a valid Aadhaar number.
3. Enrolling for Aadhar:
Once you visit the centre with the necessary documents, here are the steps that you need to complete:
- Fill the enrollment form available at the centre with your personal details.
- Capturing demographic data – your name, DOB, address, gender, and mobile number have to be mandatorily provided. You may also provide your email address, but this is optional.
- Biometrics information – Your photograph (only face) will be taken at the centre along with your fingerprints (all 10 fingers) and a scan of your irises.
- Children below the age of 5 – Parent’s/guardian’s name, Aadhaar, and biometrics to be provided.
- Review all the details provided, make any corrections if needed during the review process and complete enrollment.
- You will receive an acknowledgment slip containing your enrollment number and other details that were collected.
4. Checking Aadhar Status:
EID is a 28-digit number comprising two parts:
- 14-digit enrollment number in the format 012/01234/012345 and
- 14-digit date and time of enrollment in the format dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss